History

  • Adoption
    Adoption
  • Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center
    Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center
  • Catholic Welfare Bureau
    Catholic Welfare Bureau
  • Class of 1907
    Class of 1907
  • Front Street
    Front Street
  • 1943
    1943
  • St. Michael's Sisters - 1915
    St. Michael's Sisters - 1915
  • 1st National Conference - 1910
    1st National Conference - 1910

 

1872
Catholic Welfare Bureau established by Bishop Michael Heiss 
1875
St. Michael’s Orphanage for Boys opens in La Crosse 
1878
St. Mary’s Home for Girls opens in Sparta 
1889
St. Anne’s Orphanage for Girls opens in La Crosse 
1910
St. Michael’s Orphanage for Boys and Girls rebuilt in La Crosse 
1921
Child Placing Agency license issued to St. Michael’s Orphanage 
1925
St. Joseph’s Nursing Home opens in La Crosse 
1932
Child Placing Agency license granted to Catholic Welfare Bureau
Monsignor Alphonse Schuh appointed first director of CWB 
1939
Wausau CWB office opens 
1940
Eau Claire CWB office opens 
1949
Stevens Point CWB office opens 
1952
Fr. Norbert Dall, M.S.W. appointed director of CWB 
1956
Special Education programs developed at St. Michael’s Foster Care Program 
1957
St. Michael’s converted to residential treatment facility 
1960
CWB incorporated as Catholic Social Services, Inc. 
1963
Marriage and Family Counseling program initiated
Refugee Resettlement program opens 
1974
Fr. William Jablonski appointed director of Catholic Social Services 
1976
Cadre Study published by National Conference of Catholic Charities changes name to Catholic Charities, Diocese of La Crosse, Inc. 
1977
Seven group homes for adolescents established 
1978
“Riverdale” Mental Health Clinics receive state licensure 
1980
“Marywood” Convalescent Center built in Wausau
Parent Education program initiated in Merrill
1982
Residential care of children discontinued – St. Michael’s closed
Mr. James Wagner becomes first lay director of Catholic Charities
1983
St. Joseph’s Nursing Home rebuilt in La Crosse
1985
Diocese of La Crosse OJP assumes Refugee Resettlement program
1988
Consumer Credit counseling program initiated
1990
Ms. Marky Engler appointed Director of Catholic Charities
Wausau and Wisconsin Rapids offices opened
1991
Children’s Services merged into Riverdale clinics
1995
Refugee Resettlement program returned to Catholic Charities
1997
Riverdale Clinics closed
Catholic Charities becomes “Catholic Residential Services, Inc.”
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of La Crosse, Inc. established
Wausau office reopens
1998
Robert Laubach appointed Director of Catholic Residential Services
Daniel Idzikowski appointed Director of Catholic Charities
Emergency Services program for economic aid opens
1999
Prairie du Chien office opened
“Friends of Adoption” Post-Adoption Resource Center established
Adoption office in Superior opens
HUD Housing Counseling program initiated in Wausau
2000
Special Needs Adoption services begin
Domestic Abuse Prevention program established in Crawford County
Mental Health outpatient clinics licensed by DHFS
Project Rachel post-abortion healing program begins
Seed of Hope farm family outreach program begins
2001
Outreach program for children with severe emotional disabilities began
WorkSavers Individual Development Account program established
2002
MIRA Legal Immigration program accredited by Department of Justice
Representative Payee program established
2004
Refugee Resettlement program re-opens under Catholic Charities
Central Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Ministry joins CCDL
2005
Council on Accreditation for Family and Children’s Agencies accredits Catholic Charities of La Crosse for the 1st time
Position created to work in grants and development area
Hurricane Katrina efforts
2006
Deacon Richard Sage appointed CEO
Preparation being made to move La Crosse office to Holy Cross Diocesan Center
2007
Immigration program revamped as the second wave of Hmong refugees comes to an end
Immigration attorney hired for Migration, Immigration, and Refugee Assistance program (MIRA)
Assisted with establishing Hispanic Ministry in La Crosse Area
New Strategic Plan Adopted
Inaugurated the “Lenten Luncheon” event and the first “In My Name” award recognition
Responded to the Flood of August 2007
Worked with VOAD at local and state levels to perform long-term flood recovery
2008
Inaugurated the “Evening in the Chippewa Valley” Event
Collaboration with Place of Grace Catholic Worker House for Emergency Services outreach
Flood in June of 2008 – Catholic Charities becomes known as an early responder to disaster
COA re-accreditation
2009
Inaugurated the “Evening in the Wisconsin River Valley” Event
2010
Hague Accredited – International Adoption
2011
Joined the La Crosse Homeless Coalition in opening the La Crosse Warming Center
Catholic Charities became operator of La Crosse Warming Center
Opened Eau Claire Homeless Shelter, The Sojourner House
2012
Consolidated Emergency Services and Financial Counseling Services into one department: St. Lawrence Community Services-providing community outreach, advocacy, financial education and enrichment
Closed Stevens Point Office
Inaugurated Wausau Lenten Luncheon
2013
Joined the Wausau Housing and Homeless Coalition in opening of the Wausau Community Warming Center
COA re-accreditation
Opened new Wausau office location with expanded services to the homeless
Collaboration with Bridges of Belonging in operating the Dwelling Place-an Adult Family Home owned by Bridges of Belonging and operated by Catholic Charities
2014
Hague re-accredited – International Adoption
New La Crosse Downtown location housing the La Crosse Community Warming Center, St. Lawrence Community Services and Immigration Services
Mr. Roberto Partarrieu is appointed as the eighth Executive Director of the Catholic Charities of the Diocese of La Crosse
2015
Opening of Franciscan Hospitality House in La Crosse
2016
Opening of Beyond Shelter in Wausau
Collaboration with the Loyal Community in opening the House of Mercy
Closed Hands of Hope Program