Questions To Ask International Agencies
Suggested Questions to Ask When Selecting An International Adoption Agency
Below are sample questions that you may want to use when determining which International Adoption Agency to choose. Please realize that this list is not inclusive of all the questions you may want to ask, as you may have more, or you may choose to ask those suggested here. This is simply a guide to help get you started.
- Are you a state licensed agency? Hague certified? Will you send us and our home study agency a copy of your licenses and/or certifications?
- Are you willing to provide us with at least 3-5 families who have used your agency as references?
- Wisconsin requires 16 hours of education (+ a 2 hour orientation meeting) which covers 10 adoption-related competencies. Our home study agency’s education requirements also meet Hague requirements. What additional education requirements would your agency or state require?
- How many children has your agency placed in the last year from the particular country I am interested in adopting from? How many total?
- How long has your agency been placing children from the particular country that I am interested in adopting from?
- Has your agency license ever been suspended or terminated? If so, why and for how long?
- What makes your agency unique or stand out?
- What are your agency’s requirements for adoptive families (e.g. age, marital status, previous divorce(s), number of children already in the home, criminal background, health considerations etc.)?
- What is the average length of time it takes to adopt a child from the particular country I am interested in?
- What is the current adoption climate in the country I am interested in adopting from?
- What are the physical and mental health characteristics of the children available from the particular country that I am interested in adopting from?
- Are families allowed to specify gender of the child they wish to adopt from the country?
- How does your agency’s matching process work for the country of interest?
- What background information is generally available regarding the child and/or the child’s biological family?
- How are waiting children cared for in the particular country that I am interested in adopting from?
- What are your agency fees for an adoption?
- What is the total estimate for costs and expenses (in addition to agency fees) that I can expect to pay for an adoption with your aency from the particular country/countries I am interested in adopting from?
- How are failed adoptions handled at your agency? Will your agency provide our family with a copy of your refund policy?
- Do you require that I use a specific home study provider?