What is Domestic Violence?
The abuse, mental or physical, of one’s person by another person with whom the abused has a significant and intimate relationship.
Domestic Violence can occur in relationships whether the couple:
- Is living together or not
- Is married, divorced, separated or not married
- Has children or not
- Is a heterosexual or homosexual couple
Domestic Violence can include any or all of the following categories:
- Physical – beating, hitting, shoving
- Verbal/Emotional – swearing, threats, humiliation, playing mind games
- Sexual – forcing sex or unwanted sexual acts
- Economic – having to ask for money, taking money, giving an allowance